GOP Senator basically tells people to vote for Democrats if they want to live
I've included the transcript below, but words can't accurately describe the tone of voice or the body language of Grassley in the actual video, so I'll just urge everyone to watch it.
WOMAN: "What is your plan to keep millions of Americans like myself covered? Those of us with pre-existing conditions, people who are on their parents insurance, and again, people like myself who need life-guaranteeing medication? We could lose our insurance and I'd probably be dead in 2 months."
GRASSLEY: "Well, there's a...there's a lot of, uh...and she's asking only because the courts may declare [the ACA] unconstitutional. Now, I don't think that the courts are going to declare it unconstitutional..."
WOMAN: "You voted seven times to repeal it."
GRASSLEY: (pause) "Yes."
WOMAN: "Why? What are you going to do for people on the ACA?"
GRASSLEY: "Well...first of all, it's not going to get repealed."
WOMAN: "I mean, I'm asking...let me restate my question. I want you to answer me personally, as a person whose life depends on insurance,.."
WOMAN: "I would be dead in 60 days or less without the Affordable Care Act."
GRASSLEY: "Is it because of pre-existing...?"
WOMAN: "Yes! And because of life-guaranteeing medications."
GRASSLEY: "There's no question about keeping...uh...pre-existing conditions on the market..."
WOMAN: "That's only if the Affordable Care Act guarantees that."
GRASSLEY: "If that...if that's your question...so the Affordable Care Act is the law of the land and it's not going to be repealed by Congress! Do you think it's going to be repealed tomorrow?"
WOMAN: "You continue to vote for repeal."
GRASSLEY: "The last time we voted for repeal was when McCain voted the other way and there's no chance of repealing it now! Besides, if we pass it through the Senate, we wouldn't get it through the United States House of Representatives! So...what are you worried about??"
WOMAN: "Well then why do you keep voting to repeal?? You're threatening my life!"
GRASSLEY: (blows her off and moves on)
This is...absolutely stunning. In the space of less than two minutes, Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley...
- Admits that the ACA may be repealed due to a lawsuit brought by fellow Republicans
- Admits that he personally voted to repeal the ACA seven times
- Declares that it's not going to be repealed now even though he just admitted that it could be
- Yells at, berates and mocks a woman for wanting to know why he keeps effectively trying to kill her
- Openly admits that the only reason she's alive today is because every Democratic Senator (plus 3 Republicans, one of whom is now dead) voted against repeal the last time around
- Openly admits that the only thing keeping her alive today is the fact that Democrats retook the House of Representatives
- Shrugs her off when she points out that he and his fellow Congressional Republicans are still effectively trying to kill her.
Oh, and by the way, the only reason the TexasFoldEm lawsuit (which could lead to the downfall of the ACA) was triggered in the first place is because Republicans including Chuck Grassley voted to repeal the ACA individual mandate as part of their $1.5 trillion tax scam in December 2017.
I'm not sure what else to say about this, except...elections have consequences.